several issues still to address here. the laser-cut box didn’t fit together perfectly, hence the white stripe along the box/lid join. partly because i didn’t wrap the bookcloth over the edge (down to the very last of my supplies) but also because my measurements were out by a crucial 2mm (now corrected).
in a low-light situation there’s less of a contrast between the box and lid (which i’m planning to leave as-is, showing the materials/fabrication, echoing other pieces in the show). the slide mount doesn’t fit perfectly because i used frosted plastic as a diffuser and cut it too large, so it interferes with the seating on the box lid.
another issue in this view: the plastic doesn’t diffuse the strip-light properly – it’s clearly visible through the slides. also, light leaks around the slide edges. i’ve backed them with black electrical tape, but since it adheres to the plastic underneath, rather than the slides themselves, there’s still some reflected light apparent.
not visible here but much more problematic for me is the grain of the plastic, which shows under examination with a lens (which is a fundamental part of the final presentation) and greatly detracts from the otherwise grain-free transparencies. so i definitely need to investigate alternative diffusing materials.
but problems aside i’m happy with how this piece is progressing, not least my provision for those pesky power cables. i cut a hole in the base for the cable – which will require a hole in the plinth/table, but will then be fully hidden from view. looking forward to v1.2 🙂